What is Stephen Ministry?
Stephen Ministry offers compassionate Christian care to people going through a challenging time in their lives. Stephen Ministers are lay persons who have completed a formal 50-hour training program that, coupled with their experience and their own spiritual gifts, prepares them to listen and comfort fellow Christians in times of need. They will do this in a sensitive, non-judgmental way that is loving, supportive, and completely confidential.
Stephen Ministers complement the primary role of the clergy. They are available as a helper (not a rescuer), a listener (not an advisor), and a friend (not a counselor). A Stephen Minister will walk beside you during the difficult times in life. While they serve as your caregivers, God is always the curegiver!
Stephen Ministers Care…
Our Stephen Ministers provide confidential, one-to-one Christian care to people who are:
- Grieving the death of a loved one
- Hospitalized or recovering from hospitalization
- Lonely or discouraged
- Coping with a terminal illness or caring for a family member with a terminal illness
- Unemployed or in a job crisis
- Disabled or caring for an ill or disabled family member
- Moving or relocating
- New to the congregation or the community
- Anticipating the birth or adoption of a child
- Homebound or institutionalized
- Transitioning into retirement
- Dealing with the crisis of aging
- Facing a life transition
- Experiencing a spiritual crisis
- Victims of a disaster or accident
And for people facing countless other crises or life challenges or who are going through a difficult time and could benefit from the care of a supportive Christian friend.
A Stephen Minister is …
- A child of God who walks beside a hurting person;
- A caring Christian who really listens;
- A member of our congregation who has received 50 hours of training in how to provide distinctively Christian care;
- A person who is ready to focus on your needs;
- A trustworthy confidant who will keep everything you say—and even your identity—confidential; and
- Someone who will faithfully meet with you on a weekly basis for as long as your need persists.
If you or someone you know could benefit from the one-to-one care of a Stephen Minister, or if you would like to learn more about becoming part of this ministry, contact the church office.