Mission, Vision, & Values
The Mission of the First United Methodist Church of Blairstown is to be a local church working to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
The First United Methodist Church of Blairstown (FUMCB) is commissioned to be a multi-generational community of God’s children journeying together under the guidance of the Holy Spirit to encourage one another in the Christian faith, grow in our relationship with God and each other through Jesus Christ, and serve as Christ’s hands and feet for the people in our community.
We faithfully live this call by:
- Being a sacred space set apart from the world where people can experience God’s transforming presence, the embrace of God’s unconditional love, and the welcoming fellowship of God’s family; and be equipped to go back into the world better able to face life’s challenges and share God’s love and forgiveness.
- Helping people accept and confess Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior through life affirming small groups, relevant Bible studies, meaningful service opportunities, and engaging worship experiences; and live their daily lives shaped by their relationship with God.
- Partnering with all people in our community through missions and ministries that meet their practical needs, offer them assistance and support, teach them skills for life, and connect them with other community resources.
- Cooperating in ministry with other churches, agencies, and organizations by building mutually supportive relationships with them and offering our space for their work.
- Caring for God’s creation by staying informed about important local, national, and global issues, lending our voices in support of those in need of advocacy, and taking action where appropriate.
- Participating in the worldwide mission of the church through our giving and by preparing and supporting missionaries for service.
- We value the Holy Scriptures as the Word of God and seek to understand them and live our lives in such a manner that we are proof of a loving God.
- We value being an intentional community that is a safe place for diverse people to gather as God’s family, accept one another as we are, and encourage and nurture each other with our spiritual gifts.
- We take pride in the gospel and the ministry that God has done through this church for over 205 years, and are excited to continue serving the residents of our communities and making a difference for Jesus Christ.
Adopted July 17, 2016